Have you seen the following Event ID 5586 error in the Application log:
Unknown SQL Exception 297 occurred. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.
The user does not have permission to perform this action
Then here are the steps to resolve it:
- Log on to the SQL Server machine that is serving the SharePoint databases.
- Right click the top most level (i.e. server) and select Properties
- Click Permissions
- Select the SharePoint farm account on the right pane top section
- In the Permissions for the SharePoint account (right pane, lower section), scroll down to locate the View server state permission
- In the Grant column, click to grant View server state permission
- Click OK to close the Server Properties dialogue window
To confirm the effective permission
- Re-open the database server properties
- Launch the permissions for the farm account
- Click the Effective tab to confirm that View server state has been granted