FarCry is a ColdFusion-based open source web application framework developed by Daemon Internet Consultants in Sydney Australia. FarCry CMS is a plugin of this framework. More information on the framework can be found from the links in the web resources provided below.
Web Resources and References
- FarCry Downloads http://www.farcrycore.org/download
- FarCry Core Framework http://www.farcrycore.org/
- FarCry Documentation http://docs.farcrycms.org/
- Windows Vista Business with IIS 7.0
- Microsoft SQL Server Express 2005
- Adobe ColdFusion 8.0.1
Steps at a glance
- Before you start
- Download and unpack the latest FarCry milestone release
- Create Database and Configure Access
- Setup ColdFusion Admin Datasource for FarCry
- Run the FarCry Installer
1. Before you start
Take note of these considerations:
- Make sure you do not have a web mapping for /farcry (if you do, remove it now)
- If you are installing farcry framework under the webroot, make sure you do not have a coldfusion mapping for /farcry
- If there is no index.cfm under /farcry/ folder, then you will need to browse to /farcry/webtop/admin/ folder to kick off the installation
2. Download and unpack the latest FarCry milestone release
Visit this page and download the latest stable FarCry bundle: http://www.farcrycore.org/download.
The bundle will include the following:
- FarCry Core Framework
- FarCry CMS
- FarCry GreyBox
Unpack it into a farcry folder the webroot folder. You should now have the following folders:
After you have completed the installation, you will see the projects folder and your own project subfolder:
3. Create Database and Configure Access
We will be using Microsoft SQL Server Express 2005 to create a blank database for the installation of FarCry. Here are the steps:
- Launch SQL Server Management Studio Express
- Right click Databases and select New Database…
- Enter farcry (or a name of your choice) for the Database name and click OK.
- Expand Security and right click Logins to create a new login for ColdFusion to access this database as follows:
- Login name: usrFarCry
- Enter a password for the login
- Map farcry database to usrFarCry user
- Leave default schema as dbo
- Browse to Databases > farcry > Security > Users
- Right click Users and create a new user usrFarCry (same name as the login) to configure access to the farcry database
- Ensure usrFarCry is selected as the login
- Select properties of user usrFarCry and ensure the following database role membership is selected:
4. Setup ColdFusion Admin Datasource for FarCry
Follow these steps to setup a datasource in the ColdFusion Administrator for FarCry to access:
- Log into the ColdFusion Administrator
- Navigate to Data & Services > Data Sources
- Type farcry in the Data Source Name, select MS SQL Server for Driver, and click Add
- Enter farcry for Database Name and its Server Name. Leave the default port of 1433 for MS SQL Server
- Enter usrFarCry for username and its password in their respective boxes. This is the user you created for granting access to the blank farcry database you have just created.
- Hit Submit and if all is correct you should see an ‘OK‘ in the status column.
5. Run the FarCry Installer
- For step 1, enter or select the following information:
- Project Description
- Project Folder Name
- Select the Locale
- For Step 2, enter or select the following information:
- Enter the datasource you created in the ColdFusion Administrator
- Select the database type
- Select the appropriate schema, in most cases it is dbo
- In Step 3, select the Project Skeleton (Mollio on a default install)
- In Step 4, select the Plugins you want to install. I selected FarCry CMS and FarCry GreyBox
- In Step 5, select the deployment configuration. I have selected Sub Directory. The other two options are Standalone and Advanced Configuration. See online documentation for explanation and instruction for setting them up.
- In Step 6, the previous selections are displayed for you to confirm. If you’re happy with them, click Install Now to start the installation.
- Once complete, you will get an Installation Success screen. From here you can do the following:
- Click Login to The FarCry WebTop to access the admin console
- Click View Site to view the website.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully installed FarCry!